Saturday, May 14, 2011

PG Strike Freedom GB - Gauntlet of the Apocalypse

I could sit here and tell you all about this epic Strike Freedom GB started by Busterbeam....but I can't do the justice to the Gundam Australia thread he posted, so I created it as a blog post word for word....Read if you dare! Wahaha! - Zeta Newtype


 PG Strike Freedom GB - Gauntlet of the Apocalypse: Originally written by Busterbeam

"*Throws down Strike Freedom forearm equipped with MX2200 beam shield generator, still crackling with electricity.*


Let all who deem themselves worthy step forward and pick up this gauntlet and by doing so enter the gauntlet; the set of trials, tribulations and ordeals we must all face before we see a Perfect Grade Gundam kit come to completion.


*cue apocalyptic lightning striking over head.*




O_O!


This is a challenge. With a fixed deadline of September 1 (regardless of what time zone you're in.)


This idea came about when I realized that myself and 3 of my fellow Gundam bloggers were all working on this kit, to a greater or lesser extent, at the same time. None of us were finished and all of us have had the kit since near, if not on, the release day (December 2010).


The bloggers I refer to are ASM, Gaigun, Lupes and myself. Coincidentally all 4 of us were members of Sinanju Group Build (before GAF when it was EvilCow) in which we all made a name for ourselves in the Gundam building/blogging community with our respective kits. Even the Chief aka Administrator Sonar was kind enough to send us all plaques to commemorate the event.


I say this not through arrogance or conceit but as simple statement of fact. That project may have been the single most demanding Gunpla project I've ever undertaken and it might just be the same for the others as well. I've seen other modelers cite our Sinanju's as an inspiration to them. Some emulated Gaigun's Yellowbird, or Lupe's Blue Berserker. Just type "black Sinanju" into Google and ASM's and my own Sinanju will pepper the page with images. Speaking personally I've gotten E-Mails and messages from other modelers out there who have used my colour scheme and poses. It's quite flattering actually to think that one's own creativity can inspire the same qualities in others and indeed looking at myself... I wouldn't be where I am today if it wasn't for the modelers that came before me and lit the fires of my own imagination.


But... that was almost exactly 2 years ago... and granted we have all made exceptional pieces of work since then, the 4 of us have never combined or efforts simultaneously as we did for our Sinanju's. Could such a feat ever be reproduced?


This topic will answer that question.


The 4 of us may be the start but we may not necessarily be the end. This is a community and as such this GB is open to the public. But there are stipulations.


To accept this challenge you don't need to be a blogger. But you must already have the Perfect Grade Strike Freedom in your possession. This isn't for people to join in randomly. It's made for people who already have the kit and haven't been able to finish it yet for whatever reason.


So no matter where you are in your build process, whether that be taking the runners out of the plastic or putting on the final decals... considering taking up the gauntlet and finishing your PGSF with us. Personally I'm about 65% of the way through my own PGSF.

The idea initially came about when I saw the tremendous progress Lupes was making on his...


and also when I saw another impressive PGSF finished in these very forums recently by Falldog.




These become an inspiration to me and I realized that I wasn't the only one in this position as well. If Lupes and Falldog could find the motivation to power through theirs why couldn't we all?


So here are the official rules.


1. You must already own a PGSF


2. You must be part way through your build process be that 5% in (classified as: "I looked at the manual and thought about it for a while." or 95% finished (classified as: "I have a couple more decals to put on and then the final top coat").


3. The standard Strike Freedom colour scheme is banned. Re-colours only. Something as simple as changing the scant amount of red parts to orange is sufficient.


4. You must think of a noun by which your PGSF will be referred to. We were talking about using the 4 Horseman of the Apocalypse theme (thus the title) but who wants to name their PGSF "Famine"? Not me. I thought it should be modernized but "global climate destabilization" and "germ warfare" don't exactly roll off the tongue either but who am I to judge... Anyway you have time to think of the word/s you want to use. Just post it when you post the finals pics of your PGSF


and the final and most important rule.


5. You MUST finish EVERYTHING by September 1st.


After that you can pat yourself on the back and congratulate yourself on a job well done. We'll probably also heap praises upon you as well because the Gunpla community is supportive like that.


Take it as far as you want. Mods? OK. More LED work? NP we encourage that. Kit bash? Why not but it's gotta be a PGSF base. Do whatever you want BUT it's gotta be done and pics posted here before midnight on Sept. 1. Otherwise you fail this GB.


If you decide to pick up the Gauntlet I will keep track of your name. It shall be en-scribed in the annals of history to be looked upon by future generations of Gunplars from now until the end of time.


That's all you need to know.


Like all group builds it's all about the community and enjoying yourself... so let's have fun doing this! But if you can't make the deadline expect to be called out at the end! Sept. 1 is "Judgement Day" Think carefully before you enter. Could you handle the mantle of shame you would inherit if you fail?


I leave that up to you.


*picks up the gauntlet*


*burns name in a tablet of Gundarium alloy with MGX-2235 "Callidus" multi-phase beam cannon, mounted in torso*


Busterbeam - IN


*cue ominous roll of thunder and somewhere off in the distance, maniacal laughter.*
O_o! Did it just get cold in here? Good thing the summer is coming! Great time to get out and paint!"

No comments:

Post a Comment